Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Si-cology 101 (copy)

Read Si-cology 101: Tales & Wisdom from Duck Dynasty’s Favorite Uncle by Si Robertson this weekend and had a hoot. Before I even picked it up, I had rave reviews from instructors and librarians alike.
Just who is Si Robertson? He is a family member of the Duck Commander Company and appears on Duck Dynasty, an A&E reality show, that follows his brother’s family who make millions on a reed duck call retailing at $60.
I have yet to see the show myself, but I cannot get through one aisle at Wal-Mart without bumping into a camo-wearing, bearded caller ad. Two weeks ago I was in Roanoke, VA, visiting a high school that happened to be celebrating homecoming and that particular Friday was Duck Dynasty Day. All the students were wearing camouflage in some form or fashion along with their school colors. One can easily guess the favorite Halloween outfit this year.
Uncle Si did not join the company until his retirement from the military. He really did not sign up for the reality show, either. His cameos were secretly taped and some of his sayings and stories were so memorable they had to include him in more of the show.
Si-cology 101 begins with Si explaining that he has only told a handful of lies in his life. He can count them on one hand and he still feels bad about a couple told as a child.
He states, “I believe lying is a learned skill. Some people are good at it, while others aren’t. I’ve always been a lousy liar. The key to being a good liar is to know when you can get away with it and when you can’t. You have to keep a straight face if you’re going to lie, and I could never stop smiling when I tried. My palms would get sweaty, and I’d lose my composure and start to stutter. Hey, I even grew a long beard so people couldn’t call me a bald –faced liar.”
So, Si claims that 95% of his stories are truthful, at least what he can remember of the original events, and this is how he became popular on the show. His stories about growing up in southern Louisiana and his Vietnam days have been perfected in the many hours sitting in cold duck blinds with Willie and Jase.
This book will start you at his beginnings, naked as a jaybird, and end with letters from his family addressed to him. Along the way, one will learn why he is forever carrying his Tupperware cup of iced-tea and why his face is so hairy. All stories you do not want to miss, and that’s the fact, Jack.

No comments: